Hazardous Area Testing
At Powertest we can help with your Hazardous Area Testing in Haywards Heath and throughout Sussex.
What is hazardous area testing? These are defined by three main criteria:
- The type of hazard.
- The likelihood of the hazard being present in flammable concentrations.
- The (auto) ignition temperature of the hazardous material.
The types of hazard groups will be in the form of gas, vapour, dust and fibre. Equipment installed in these locations comes under ATEX and DSEAR directives and classifications.
It follows that engineers who carry out electrical testing in these areas must have adequate training for the job.
Further to the July 1988 Piper Alpha Offshore disaster in the North Sea, the investigation report led by Lord Cullen, recommended that employers ensure the Competency of Personnel for all workers that they employ.
In the UK, the Electricity at Work Regulations (1989) made this a mandatory requirement and increased the standards necessary to ensure the competency of personnel, thereby increasing workplace safety in potentially hazardous environments. These new legal requirements brought about the need to provide a competency scheme that would both assess the underpinning knowledge (theory) and the competency validation (practical assessment) of individuals under one scheme and the associated Core Competency Certificate that would be obtained by successful practitioners.
Powertest Ltd engineers who undertake hazardous area electrical testing are qualified to the relevant CompEx standards. The company are members of the Association of Petroleum and Explosive Administration - APEA and test to the criteria and standards prescribed in the APEA ‘Blue Book’ as well as the relevant sections of BS7671:2008 Incorporating Amendment No.1:2011.
Powertest Ltd carries out electrical testing in hazardous areas at petrol filling stations, flammable liquid, chemical and gas storage areas for a variety of clients.
Petrol filling stations may be an obvious testing area, but had you thought of the following installations that come under hazardous area regulations.
- Paint and solvent stores / vehicle spray shops / boat builders paint stores / steel fabrication paint shops and stores.
- Printers stores - Ink, glue, solvents and adhesive.
- Portable Gas Bottle Storage – LPG, Butane, Propane.
- Private petrol pumps – Country estates, parcel delivery and logistics companies, builders/construction company depots and yards.
- Laboratory gas/solvent storage – Hydrogen, Methane, Oxygen, Hexane, Isopropyl Alcohol.
Let Powertest Ltd undertake ALL of your ‘hazardous area’ electrical testing requirements.
For more information on this service simply fill in the form on the left or get in touch with the team →